Thursday, December 28, 2006

Cleaning up for Christmas

Well, we survived Christmas and the fast track of traveling to TN & KY this past weekend. We had a great Christmas and enjoyed watching the girls. The kids on my side of the family have the biggest time with the paper fight after we have played dirty Santa. We laugh so hard just over silly paper. My girls have missed it for the last couple of years and were so excited to be a part of it this year. Now we are back home and cleaning out and putting away all that we received. I have things that I have not used in years and wonder why I have been holding on to them. It is just amazing to me how much clutter that is collected over the years. I feel like after going through all of my mothers stuff I have given away more stuff this last year than I ever thought I could. After doing this you start to think about not wanting your children to have to do this once we are gone. It does make you realize how unimportant things are that we think as valuable while we are here on earth. God tries hard to get us to realize that our heavenly treasures are more important but we get so caught up in our earthly treasures it is sometimes hard to see. God has truly blessed us and I will continue to try and downsize some of our clutter. My problem is unfortunately I have a good memory and can remember who gave us what, even wedding gifts from 23 years ago. I feel this is a curse because my friends who do not remember who gave them what do not have any trouble getting rid of things therefore they are clutter free. I am getting better and that is something I am going to work on this year in 2007. There will be big changes in our household this year with our oldest going to college so I will have to find alot to keep me busy. Just getting rid of stuff should be enough to keep me busy for several years. My prayer for myself this next year will be to work harder on my heavenly treasure and being a good steward of my earthly treasure. Happy 2007 to everyone.

1 comment:

Alisha said...

Looking Good Laura. Love the post! Glad you're joining the blogger realm. I love your idea of downsizing. You can go at that angle a number of different ways. It always ends up with a better understanding of who we are in comparison to Who God is.